For the purposes of data protection law, the controller is Durham Editing and E-books. Our website address is http://editingandebooks.com.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information you provide to us
- You may provide us with information in several ways, including by filling in forms on our websites or by corresponding with us by phone or email. This includes information you provide when you contact us for information about services, enter into a contract for the supply of services, pay for services, or report problems with our website.
- The personal information that you provide may include your name, address, email address, or phone number. You may also provide payment information to our third-party payment processor (PayPal), but we do have direct access to that information.
- f you do not consent to that use, you may not be able to use our services.
- Information we collect about you
- When you use our website, we automatically collect information about your device, including your IP address, information about your visit (including how you got to our websites) and how you use our services. This information is collected through our data analyzer, AWStats, and it is used to help us track performance of our website.
- When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
How we use your personal information
We use personal information about you in connection with the following purposes:
- Providing our services to you and fulfilling your requests
- Providing you with the information and services you request from us (including providing you with price quotes and providing services).
- Completing any transaction that you do with us.
- Service improvement and account management
- Ensuring that our content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device.
- Administering our websites and apps and for internal business administration (for example, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes).
- Protecting our interests and as part of our efforts to keep our services safe and secure.
- Managing and operating your project with us.
Legal basis for processing
Our legal basis for processing your personal information for the purposes described above will typically be one of the following:
- It is necessary for us to process your personal information to perform a contract to which you are a party, or to take steps at your request prior to you entering into a contract.
- You have consented to us using your personal information for this purpose (for example, when you contact us about services or ask for us to perform services for you). You can withdraw your consent at any time.
- Legitimate interests
- It is in our legitimate interests to use your personal information to operate, improve and promote our services (for example, when we your information for analytics purposes) and to protect our business.
- Legal obligations
- It is necessary for us to use your personal information for us to comply with a legal obligation.
Sharing your personal information
Except as described in this Policy, we will not intentionally disclose your personal data that we collect or store to third parties without your consent. We may disclose information to third parties if you consent to us doing so, as well as in the following circumstances:
- Our service providers: to help us run our business and perform services you request
- We may provide your personal information to PayPal who provides services to us for payment processing when necessary to perform a service that you have requested. We limit the information provided to this service provider to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and our contracts with them require them to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
- Analytics and search engine providers: to help us improve our services
- We may provide information about your visit to analytics and search engine providers to help us improve and optimize our services. We generally only share this information in a form that does not directly identify you.
- Comment spam detection service
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
We may also share your personal information with third parties for the following reasons:
- To obtain professional advice
- We may disclose your personal information to obtain professional advice (for example, from lawyers or financial advisors).
- To comply with a legal obligation
- We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in response to a request from law enforcement or another regulatory authority. We may disclose your personal information to enforce our agreements with you or to protect the rights, property or safety of Durham Editing and E-books, its users or others. This includes sharing personal information with other organizations for fraud prevention purposes.
Storing your personal information
By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. Unfortunately, transmission of information over the internet is not completely secure. We will do our best to protect your personal information, but we cannot guarantee its security and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
We keep your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. These periods vary depending on the nature of the information and your interactions with us.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. We maintain email addresses on clients who have worked with us in the past indefinitely in case we need to contact them in the future.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. You can do this at any time by emailing us directly at email@example.com.
Data protection law gives you the right to access your personal information, to object to the use of your personal information for certain purposes, and the right to erase, restrict or receive a machine-readable copy of your personal information. You can access, update and delete your your information by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. Contact us at email@example.com.
If you have worked with us and would like us to no longer keep your email address, you can request that we delete your email address from our contact list by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will handle your request in accordance with the law. This means there may be legal reasons why we cannot fulfil all requests.
Links to third party websites
Updated May 25, 2018